Cloud is admittedly the best solution for all industries aiming for digital transformation. The recent health crisis has explained effectively why and how cloud solutions are the way forward. Low cost of storage, ample storage solution, and allowing business scalability are some of the many benefits of cloud computing. For this very reason, businesses have now moved their operations to a cloud landscape. This movement is referred to as cloud migration. Under the cloud migration services business moves from traditional storage solution to cloud computing environment by transferring its data, emails, applications, and files.
Cloud migration if taken according to its wordy meaning means cloud transfer. Depending upon the need of the organization and technical capabilities, migration models are of three types.
- The primary method of migration is the transferring of data along with the applications from a local server, or data center to a public domain. This is the basic form of migration.
- Another migration model entails the movement of data and apps from one cloud to another. This form of migration is also called cloud-to-cloud migration. Many companies exercise this practice too.
- Another type of transfer referred to as reverse cloud migration/repatriation or cloud exit. As the name suggests, it is the process of moving data and application back to local data centers from the cloud
Reason to Migrate
- Disaster Management
Having a cloud computing solution comes with its own set of benefits. From the convenience of storage to accessibility, and agility, numerous advantages make cloud a viable and reliable option than the local or on-premise data centers. Cloud managed services is particularly useful when it comes to disaster management and recovery. It acts as additional support or resource that saves the data from a potential loss. To manage your data, migration to the cloud offers disaster management solutions that are inexpensive to implement. To maintain the credibility and smooth working of a business, migration to the cloud saves resources and ensures the functionality of applications during the worst of times.
- Cost Saving Solution
The most logical and unavoidable situation that generates the need to migrate is the increasing cost of storage and networking resources. As the world is upgrading the IT services, the costs are going up as well. About 50% of businesses prefer cloud computing or solutions for a reduction in their IT cost. IT cost automatically drops by a significant amount of 30–50%.
- Expansion Capabilities
With great power, comes great responsibility. This saying is applicable in the case of business growth. The more a business grows, the scalability and expansion need surge. The room for accommodating higher resources becomes a necessity. Data management becomes a crucial and handful task. Storage problems start appearing. The scalability of data could easily be achieved with cloud migration. New applications and data would be better accommodated with the cloud. The cloud environment generates more space options for businesses going bigger.
- Keeping Up with the Contemporaries
In a highly competitive digital landscape, businesses are turning towards cloud computing. Sometimes businesses must comply with the market norms and practices to stay updated. To be on par with the competitors is the need of the hour. Keeping up with the latest trends, smart practices, and technology is now mandatory. Saving a face is crucial amongst different market players with homogenous products and services.
Cloud migration process
To move your resources from a local data center to a cloud environment a simple process is followed. It is also known as the strategy of cloud operations. The strategy or process follows the underneath steps
- Need-based analysis of the situation dictating the migration needs and type
- Evaluating the current performance of the data centers and weighing the pros and cons of this system with a new system
- Comprehend the security and performance requirement of your business or system
- Cloud provider analysis that includes the cost of installation or migration
- Implementing the new data center or arrangement in accordance with the system need and then reassessing the situation after migration
Needless to say, that cloud migration is becoming as important as any new smart trend. Keeping up with the latest technological leaps saves from declining business potential. Understanding your company, the stakeholders, and the customer demands take away most of your worry.